If you’re a gardener, you know that voles can wreak havoc on your plants. These little creatures are known for their voracious appetites and can quickly destroy a garden if they’re not kept in check.
Do coffee grounds repel voles? This is a question that I get asked a lot, and it’s one that I’m always happy to answer.
How To Identify Voles – Moles vs. Voles?
How can you tell if you have voles or moles in your yard? And what’s the difference between the two, anyway?
For one, voles are much more social creatures than moles. They live in colonies and build extensive tunnel systems underground. This can cause problems for homeowners because the tunnels can collapse, causing sinkholes in your yard.
Moles, on the other hand, are loners. They build their tunnels but don’t connect to other mole tunnels. And while they can also cause damage to your lawn, it’s usually not as extensive as what voles can do.
Another difference is that voles have reddish-brown fur, while moles have black fur. And voles have small eyes and ears, while moles have no eyes and tiny ears.
Voles create tunnels that are visible from the surface while mole tunnels are not visible from the surface.
So how can you tell if you have moles or voles in your yard? The best way is to look for signs of damage. You have voles if you see tunnels or burrows in your lawn or sinkholes. If you see small mounds of dirt, that’s a sign of moles.
What Do Voles Eat?
Voles are primarily herbivores, eating various vegetation, including grasses, roots, shoots, and seeds. They also eat insects, snails, and other small invertebrates. In winter, voles may eat the bark of trees and shrubs.
Do Coffee Grounds Repel Voles?
Coffee grounds are also one of the best natural ways to help protect our gardens and lawns. They can deter rodents like voles, gophers, and mice. It can be the best natural vole repellent.
This is because rodents do not like the smell of something strong. Coffee grounds will spread this overpowering smell that will act as a barrier on your lawn or garden wherever you spread them. It does that all the while boosting the growth of your plants as well.
How Can I Get Rid Of Voles Using Coffee Grounds Permanently?
Coffee grounds are rich in nitrogen, calcium, magnesium, and potassium, which are all strong-smelling chemicals that can be used against some animals.
To use coffee grounds as a vole deterrent, sprinkle them around the perimeter of your property. You can also add them to your compost pile or mix them into the soil of your garden beds. For best results, reapply after it rains or every few weeks.
What are Some Ways To Get Rid Of Voles?
If you’re a homeowner, you know that voles are one of the most frustrating pests to deal with. These little rodents can wreak havoc on your yard and garden, and getting rid of them can be a real challenge.
But what exactly are voles? Voles are small, stout-bodied rodents found in fields, meadows, and woodlands. They have short, furry tails and small, black eyes. Voles are often mistaken for mice, but they are quite different.
Unlike mice, voles are vegetarians and love to eat the roots of plants and bulbs. This can cause serious damage to your garden. Voles are also known to tunnel underground, which can also damage your plants’ roots.
So, what can you do to get rid of voles? Here are a few ideas:
- Use a vole bait. There are special baits that are designed to attract and kill voles.
- Set up a vole trap. This is a special trap that is designed to catch voles.
- Remove their food source. If you remove the things that voles like to eat, they will be less likely to stick around. This means getting rid of items like weeds and tall grasses.
- Seal up their entry points. If you can find where voles are getting into your yard or garden, you can seal up those entry points to keep them out.
- Fill in holes. The voles will often create paths on the lawn, which they regularly follow. These paths will generally lead back to a hole that burrows under the ground. If you can fill these holes (you might have to do this a few times), eventually, the voles will get annoyed with the nuisance and relocate to other areas where they won’t be bothered.
- Make your yard less attractive to voles. If you can make your yard less inviting to voles, they will be less likely to want to hang around. This means keeping your grass short, removing debris, and filling in any holes or tunnels.
- Using the mole/Vole Pellets. You can buy these at your local hardware store. They have a chemical in them that is poisonous moles/voles. But be careful, because it can also hurt other animals and kids if you use too much of it. So follow the directions on the package.
Getting rid of voles can be challenging, but it’s possible. By using a combination of these methods, you should be able to get rid of these pesky pests for good!
How Can You Use Coffee Grounds As a Natural Pest Repellent?
Here are some ways you can use coffee grounds to keep pests control away:
- Sprinkle coffee grounds around your garden.
- Place coffee grounds in a sachet in your pantry or cupboards.
- Mix them with water and spray it around your home.
- Place coffee grounds in a bowl and set it out in your yard.
- Add coffee grounds to your compost pile.
- Mix them with baking soda and use it as a natural pest repellent.
- Sprinkle coffee grounds on ant hills.
- Place coffee grounds in a cloth bag and hang it in your closet.
- Use coffee grounds as mulch around your plants.
- Mix them with water and use it as a natural insecticide.
See more: Different Types Of Coffee Bean
7 Ways to Use Coffee Grounds in the Garden
1. Improve drainage in potting soil.
If you’re potting plants or starting seeds, coffee grounds can help improve drainage. Just mix a handful or two of coffee grounds into your potting soil before planting.
2. Repel slugs and other pests.
It can be used as a natural slug and snail repellent. Just spread a layer of coffee grounds around the base of your plants. You can also use them to deter other pests, like ants, bees, and beetles.
3. Fertilize plants.
Mix coffee grounds into your soil or compost to give your plants a boost.
4. Make a compost accelerator.
If you’re looking to speed up the composting process, coffee grounds can help. Just add a handful or two of coffee grounds to your compost pile to speed up the decomposition.
6. Keep cats out of the garden.
Cats don’t like the smell of coffee, so spread a layer of coffee grounds around the perimeter of your garden against them.
7. Acid-Loving Plants
Place coffee grounds around the soil of your acid-loving plants to increase acidity and nutrients such as roses, rhododendrons, gardenias…
Can Voles Damage My Lawn and Yard?
Yes, they can. Voles infestation can damage your lawn and yard by eating the roots of your plants, which can kill the plants. They can also dig burrows, which can damage your lawn.
Do Coffee Grounds Prevent Moles?
Coffee grounds can be used to deter moles by placing them in a few tunnels or mounds.
Can Cats Get Rid Of Rodents in the Yard?
Most cats will chase and kill rodents if given the opportunity. However, whether or not a cat will keep the rodent population down in your yard depends on several factors, such as how many rodents there are, how often they breed, and whether or not the cat is allowed to go outside.
Are Mothballs an Effective Way to Get Rid Of Moles In Your Yard?
No scientific evidence supports the claim that moth balls get rid of moles in your yard. However, some people believe that the strong scent of mothballs may avoid moles from entering an area.
What Smells Deter Voles?
Some potential smells that could avoid voles include strong scents such as vinegar, pepper, peppermint, citronella, and garlic, and special is the smell of castor oil.
Voles also dislike capsaicin, the potent compound in peppers that makes them taste spicy.
How Frequently Should I Apply Coffee Grounds?
You can apply fresh coffee grounds every few days or as needed. If you live in an area with a lot of voles, you may need to reapply the grounds weekly.
Do I Need To Use Coffee That Has Been Brewed, Or Can I Use The Grounds?
Brewed coffee is more effective at repelling mosquitoes since the scent is stronger.
Will Coffee Grounds Get Rid of Ground Moles?
There is no one guaranteed method to get rid of moles, but coffee grounds can be used as a repellent.
Do Voles Like Coffee Grounds?
No, they don’t.
Coffee grounds are an effective natural repellent for voles, and they’re also easy to come by. If you drink coffee, save your used grounds and sprinkle them around your garden. You can also ask your local coffee shop for their used grounds.
There are a few things to consider when using coffee grounds to repel voles. First, it’s essential to use fresh coffee grounds. Old coffee grounds won’t have the same effect. Second, you’ll need to apply the coffee grounds directly to the area where voles are a problem.
If you have a vole problem in your garden, try scattering some fresh coffee grounds around the affected area. You may need to reapply them every few days, but this is a relatively inexpensive and easy way to keep voles away from your plants.